Guide to Using Electronic Resources
- Go to the Meader Library Catalog.
- Click “Begin Search.”
Locate a book of photographs by Ansel Adams
- Select AUTHOR search.
- Type Adams, Ansel.
- How many of his books does the KIA Library own?
- Write the title of one book.
Find a book on how to paint in watercolors
- Select SUBJECT search.
- Type watercolors; how many matches do you get?
- Write the title of one such book the KIA Library owns
Locate a book on Japanese prints
- Select KEYWORD search.
- Type Japanese print.
- How many books on this topic does the KIA Library own?
- Write the title of one book
II. Finding articles from magazines and journals using Art Abstracts Online
(This can only be done from within the library, using the library’s computer.)
- Go to the Meader Library home page.
- Click “Library Catalog and other catalogs.”
Find an article on woodfired glazes used in pottery
- What is the title of the article?
- What publication is the article in?
- Find one article that is full-text.
Looking for information about an artist, a work of art, or an art technique
1. Background Information: Reference Books
2. In-depth information
Artist Files (list available on the KIA Library Web site)
A. Michigan E-Library (MeL.org-available from home)
B. Art Abstracts online (KIA Library only): articles from art magazines and journals
C. AskArt.com: artist biographies and (at KIA Library only) art auction information
D. Biography Resource Center (Kalamazoo Public Library): biographical information
Links available via the Meader Library catalog
3. Searching for artists
Is your artist represented in the KIA permanent collection?
1. Consult the Artist Files (list available on the KIA Library website).
2. Consult reference sources from the Reference Books list above.
3. Consult appropriate databases:
4. Try the Meader Library catalog
5. Try the MeLCat Library catalog
6. Try the WorldCat Library catalog(home version)
IF NO: Skip step No. 1 above and proceed to No. 2!
4. Other art-related Web sites