Position: Visitor Services Associate/Gallery Guard
Supervisor: Head of Security
Classification: Part-Time, On Call, Non-Exempt
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered
art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA’s mission is to cultivate the
creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They
inspire, fulfill, and transform.
Summary of Position:
Provides a safe, secure, and welcoming environment for KIA employees, faculty, volunteers,
and visitors. Position serves to ensure protection of KIA buildings, parking lots, grounds, and contents.
▪ Observes visitor behavior while in the upper and lower galleries, school commons, gallery shop, and the
exterior of the KIA
▪ Greets, screens and aids all who enter the KIA
▪ Informs visitors, if necessary, of gallery policies such as the photography policy and no touching artwork
▪ Opens and closes the upper and lower galleries. Makes the closing announcement over the PA system
▪ Provides guard coverage at special events as scheduled, including weekends and evenings
▪ Prepares incident reports as needed
▪ Reviews and is familiar with the fire safety and severe weather policies
▪ Fill in for front desk staff as needed
▪ Performs other duties as assigned by the Head of Security
▪ Ability to stand for long periods.
▪ Friendly and personable.
▪ Ability to work independently while following directions.
Physical Job Requirements:
While performing this job, the employee will be required to stand for long periods, sit and work, to lift up to 30 lbs occasionally. Employee must be able to communicate verbally.
The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion in the workplace.