Position Title: Security Officer
Reports to: Director of Facilities
Classification: Part-Time, Exempt
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA’s mission is to cultivate the creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They inspire, fulfill, and transform.
Summary of Position:
The Security Officer manages the planning, coordination, and implementation of daily operations for the security department of the Kalamazoo Institute of Art (KIA) on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as during extended or extra shifts on these and other days of the week. Is responsible for providing a safe, secure environment for staff, faculty, volunteers, and visitors. Works with the Director of Facilities to understand assigned coverage times and to ensures protection of buildings, parking lots, grounds, and contents.
The ability to work regularly on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Sundays from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. is required. Special events or extra shifts will consistently offer opportunities for additional hours.
- Ensures safety and oversees interior and exterior of all KIA property, including Arts Fair, along with the Director of Facilities.
- Manages building security. Maintains the security system; including but not limited to video surveillance.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the KIA’s diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEAI) values..
- Establishes strategies to protect and secure integrity of the museum’s collection.
- Prepares and updates the fire alarm and severe weather policies; makes emergency announcements.
- Works with the Head of Security to develop emergency operation plans and procedures.
- Collaborates with staff to ensure the highest level of customer experience with museum visitors, school visitors, patrons and staff.
- Reviews and prepares incident reports, communicates appropriately with the Lead Receptionist and Visitor Services Associate, and appropriately elevates matters and risks to the Directors of Facilities and Finance and Personnel, and Executive Director, as appropriate.
- Preparation and maintenance of tracking documents for established giving categories and related Office of Advancement priorities.
- Helps track monthly totals of visitors for organization and communicates appropriately to the Lead Receptionist and Visitor Services Associate.
- Assists the Director of Facilities and Head of Security with the preparation of the Security Department budget.
- Performs security guard duties, in addition to working special events.
- Acts as liaison with law enforcement on the weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities.
- Works in collaborative partnership with the Directors of Facilities and Finance and Personnel.
- Minimum of five (5) years security or law enforcement experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminology, Business, Business Management or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Formal security training.
- First aid, CPR/AED, and blood borne pathogen certifications.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Friendly and personable.
- Position requires a variable work schedule including evening and weekend hours.
- ▪ Ability to work independently while following directions
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Physical Job Requirements:
While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 30 lbs occasionally, do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee must be able to communicate verbally. The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.