Position Title: Marketing Officer
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA’s mission is to cultivate the creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They inspire, fulfill, and transform.
Summary of Position:
Plan and oversee the organization’s marketing and branding activities and campaigns ensuring that all projects and objectives are achieved across the KIA. The Marketing Officer must have great enthusiasm and knowledge of relevant techniques and principles, honoring the historic value of the KIA while embracing the future of the arts in our community and beyond.
- Be a key partner with the Advancement Director and work collaboratively with the Advancement Team, Executive Director and other departments to leverage the unique strengths of the KIA. Model and effectively communicate KIA’s DEAI values and goals.
- Create through collaboration, implement, and maintain a marketing plan, brand strategy, and guidelines to ensure that all aspects of KIA messaging are consistent and recognizable.
- Create a robust long planning calendar for advertising/promotion campaigns for KIA departments on a variety of platforms (social, digital, print, TV, radio).
- Create and manage collateral which includes: coordinating, writing, editing, proofing, and designing (where possible) all internal and external marketing materials and department requests, collaborating with department heads including budget/expenses. Includes KIA marketing assets such as the biennial report and Sightlines quarterly magazine.
- Initiate and network with local, national, and international public relations, press, media sources, and organizations to ensure KIA events, exhibitions, items of interest, and substantial non-paid marketing and feature stories receive proper coverage. Includes writing and cultivating action around press releases.
- Oversee external calendar entries (digital/print) and identify new partners and opportunities.
- Spearhead the team project to create a new KIA logo and accompanied brand materials.
- Plan a 100th Anniversary (2024) campaign with activities leading up to and continuing the impact post-event.
- Work closely with the Advancement team to have in place a voice and visual continuity within digital content and help grow engagement, attendance, revenue, and impact through all platforms.
- Prepare content for publication, oversee distribution, sourcing printers, quotes, and timeline schedules.
- Conduct market research to identify opportunities for promotion and growth and see all ventures through to completion evaluating their success using various metrics and contributions to the marketing strategy.
- Organize and attend marketing activities or events to raise public awareness while liaising with stakeholders and vendors to promote the success of activities and enhance the company’s presence.
- Coordinate contractual marketing obligations for sponsorships (internal and external) including placement of name/logo recognition and creating the marketing ROI at the conclusion of those programs.
- Monitor all KIA mentions in publications or promotions outside the KIA that have been approved. Maintain a look book.
- Graphic design (coordinate supplier or manage in-house)
- Maintain accurate timely and dynamic information on the website, take photos, conduct interviews, manage casting calls for marketing materials, and main the rights and permissions folders.
- Manage the Text 2 Give, Giving Tuesday, and any additional external partner fundraiser campaigns.
- Coordinate and promote “Everyone is a Member” and corporate days that are marketing specific.
- Any other related duties as assigned by the Director of Advancement.
- Proven 3+ years experience as a marketing officer or similar role
- Solid knowledge of marketing techniques and principles
- Be an excellent communicator and will have experience in managing different marketing ventures from print, digital, TV, radio, etc.
- Good understanding of market research techniques, statistical and data analysis methods, and implementation
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and marketing-specific software and tools (Adobe, Canva)
- Thorough understanding of social media and web analytics
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Creativity and commercial awareness
- A team player with a customer-oriented approach
- BSc/BA in marketing. business administration or relevant field preferred
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Physical Job Requirements:
While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 30 lbs. occasionally, do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employees are required to be able to have written and verbal conversations.
The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.