Position: Front Desk Receptionist/Administrative Assistant
Supervisor: Director of Finance and Personnel
Classification: 30-40 hours per week, Non-Exempt (Tues-Sat)
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art
classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA’s mission is to cultivate the
creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They
inspire, fulfill, and transform.
Summary of Position: The Receptionist is the main employee responsible with welcoming and greeting
guests, visitors, and students. The Receptionist will champion excellent service and work with staff from all
departments to ensure an efficient and professional experience for all.
- Creating a professional and customer service focused environment at the front desk.
- Cheerfully greet all visitors entering and leaving the KIA.
- Process point-of-sale transactions: member and non-member admission, membership and donations.
- Accurately complete opening and closing cash drawer procedures; follow safe cash handling procedures.
- Answer phones; route calls to appropriate staff; check voicemail regularly and return calls in a timely manner.
- Maintain a clean and accessible front desk.
- Track and update daily building usage.
- Manage the internal KIA calendar to ensure staff are aware of building activities.
- Order and maintain office supplies, including receiving deliveries and restocking the supply room.
- Ensure that incoming mail is distributed and outgoing mail is processed appropriately, including FedEx and UPS deliveries.
- Receiving payments/checks and sending to the Bookkeeper.
- Maintain the daily school access log.
- Work with Head of Security on daily screening visitors, students and staff.
- Assist with membership data entry, mailings and other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Must be a team player, with the ability to communicate clearly with and support other team members.
- Remain welcoming, approachable and available at all times to visitors, staff and volunteers.
- Anticipate visitor needs and make proactive suggestions to facilitate a quality experience.
- Respond to visitors who may need assistance.
- Provide professional, responsive service by being well-informed on what each of the different Museum and School departments offer.
- Maintain general KIA email mailbox.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Personnel.
- Experience in an office support/clerical/reception role.
- Very strong computer skills including excellent keyboarding skills with a high level of accuracy.
- Multi-line phone and general office equipment experience.
- Sensitivity for the confidential nature of materials/information processed.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to consistently provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to contributing to a work culture that is inclusive, equitable, and antiracist.
- Entrepreneurial, creative, self-starter with initiative.
- A collegial spirit and cooperative approach that facilitates working closely with others.
Physical Job Requirements: While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 30 lbs occasionally, do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee required to be able to have written and verbal conversations.
The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in