To better serve the community and promote an appreciation for the arts, the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts offers a number of scholarships to students in need. If you would like to apply for a scholarship, please carefully read the guidelines below.
- Summer scholarships are due May 8, 2023
- Fall Scholarships are due July 31, 2023
- Winter scholarships are due December 4, 2023
- More than 200 tuition awards for 12- and 8-week classes and camps are granted annually.
- We have application forms for Children, Young Artists (grades 6-11), and Adults.
- Scholarships are need-based, and awards range from 50% to 100% of tuition. (Students are responsible for paying any materials fees and buying any additional supplies necessary for the class.)
Please read carefully before completing application. Contact the school with questions or for assistance in completing scholarship applications.
Evaluation criteria for financial need scholarships
- Financial need and motivation. (75% children; 50% Young Artists grades 6-11, and adults)
- Motivation and recommendation. (25% children; Young Artists grades 6-11, and adults)
- Artistic merit based on creativity, technique, and presentation. (25% Young Artists grades 6-11 and adults)
- Funds are limited. Partial scholarships (50% of tuition) may be awarded.
- The decision of the scholarship jury is final.
- Scholarships must be used in the designated term and year.
- Separate applications are required for each term.
- Scholarships may be applied to one course selection only.
- Students must pay a materials fee and provide their own materials when needed. Contact the school director if additional financial help is required.
- A letter of recommendation from teacher, counselor, religious organization, or community member addressing the applicant’s financial need, motivation, and ability should be attached.
- Work samples (email digital images) clearly labeled with artist name are required.
- Young Artists grades 6-11 and adults may submit up to 4 examples of recent art work digitally.
- Children preschool to 5th grade should submit 1 work example (such as self portrait or fanciful design digitally).
Permanent Scholarship Funds
Provides 1 – 4 scholarships per year
Tom & Marty Kakub Family Trust
Betty & Bob Spiegelman
Permanently Endowed Scholarship Funds
Provide multiple scholarships per year
Tom & Marty Kakuk
Helen R. King
Harold & Irene Landes
Current Scholarship Donations
These gifts are awarded during the same year the donation is made.
Give the Gift of Art
Please consider a donation to the KIA Art School Scholarship Fund.
Each year we receive more requests from financially struggling children and adults for scholarship assistance. Any amount is appreciated.
To donate, please click here. Or call (269) 349-7775 ext. 3101 for more information.