Supervisor: Director of Finance
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA’s mission is to cultivate the creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They inspire, fulfill, and transform. The KIA is a growing organization with plans for substantial expansion.
Summary of Position: Responsible for maintaining accounts payable and receivable, preparing payroll and selected journal entries, posting to the general ledger revenue recorded in other software, counting cash and performing other duties as assigned.
- Maintains accounts payable by insuring that invoices are accurately recorded with pertinent expense accounts.
- Prepares payroll, ensuring that time cards/time sheets/payments are accurate, timely and that deductions/reductions are properly taken.
- Process new employee paperwork and accurately enter into third party vendor software.
- Ensures that vendors are promptly and accurately paid.
- Prepares selected journal entries including Gallery Shop daily transactions, revenue recorded in Altru, and month end items such as mail, copier and bank fees.
- Prepares daily bank deposits for the entire organization.
- Generates and tracks invoices.
- Reconciles the payroll checking account monthly.
- Reconciles the monthly credit card and Amazon statements.
- Prepares monthly sales tax reports.
- Prepares year end accounts payable and other reports, reconciliations and files for auditors.
- Prepares calendar year end income reports 1099 and 1096.
- Ensures that petty cash and stamps are available.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work well and collaborate effectively with staff in a team-based environment and with a wide range of audiences including students, volunteers, educators, donors, members, the general public, and other constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to learner-centered strategies that activate diversity, equity, access, and inclusion initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Physical Job Requirements
While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 40 lbs. occasionally, do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employees are required to be able to have written and verbal conversations.
This position is a full-time, exempt position offering the following benefits: health, dental, 403(b) retirement matching, vacation time and sick time. The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, access and inclusion in the workplace.