Position Title: Advancement Officer
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA’s mission is to cultivate the creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They inspire, fulfill, and transform.
Summary of Position:
The Advancement Officer will develop and implement strategies for direct business growth through sponsorship and corporate fundraising, personal and corporate membership, annual fund and events around these areas. The role will be centered around developing new and managing an assigned portfolio of patrons and prospects as well as cultivating these relationships.
- Be a key partner with the Advancement Director and work collaboratively within the Advancement Team and other departments to leverage the unique strengths of the KIA. Model and effectively communicate KIA’s DEAI values.
- Achieve fundraising goals through significant weekly interactions, prospecting of existing and new donor outreach.
- Utilize numerous strategies and touchpoints to identify, connect with and engage, cultivate and grow personal and corporate memberships, sponsorship and overall support.
- Create and maintain an annual giving schedule with “best practices” to effectively manage the stewardship and cultivation of donors in a timely and organized manner. Including follow-up for patrons, events and fundraising goals with relevant marketing needs. This may also include planned giving and capital campaign initiatives.
- Work closely with departments as needed to serve as a fundraising consultant. Collaborate on strategies that will grow philanthropic support in alignment with institutional goals all while enhancing engagement with prospective & current donors across programs, events and activities at the KIA.
- Collaborate on production, research, materials, designs and communications to be implemented for the fundraising and marketing activities associated with the aforementioned patron/donor giving cycles.
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with individuals, businesses, and corporations in the current portfolio, and position those individuals for fundraising requests consistent with KIA priorities.
- Stay connected and cultivate lapsed supporters to re-engage with the KIA.
- Preparation and maintenance of tracking documents for established giving categories and related Office of Advancement priorities.
- Establish measurable goals and objectives for individual and corporate members including sponsorship sales.
- Build on the existing Annual Fund giving campaign.
- Design and implement events (working with the Advancement Team) for the various giving categories. Assist the Director of Advancement with other relevant giving events including the 100th anniversary in 2024.
- Spearhead the recognition of donors within the Annual Meeting, KIA Donor Boards, Annual Report and other creative ways to show our appreciation.
- Participate in community and other relevant functions, industry events/conferences, and local community and networking events, associations and collaborations in the community that will build positive relationships and a strong connection with the KIA. Deliver presentations about the KIA to area organizations.
- Assist in planning and implementing special-purpose campaigns, as necessary.
- Ensure proper notification and track implementation of applicable sponsorship benefits as sold.
- Maintain accurate donor, prospect, member records, and constituent transactions via Altru (CRM) database.
- Plan, produce, and host special events and fundraisers that involve members, donors, sponsors and prospects.
- Facilitate member renewals and messaging.
- Support the development of briefings, proposals, sponsorships and talking points for fundraising priorities.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual fundraising reports.
- Actively participate in sales team meetings and event-driven marketing activities and in any assigned workgroup(s) for various projects, working closely with other division team members. Attend KIA events as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Advancement.
- 3+ years’ experience in either sales development, membership, marketing and proven success with fundraising.
- Creativity and possesses an entrepreneurial spirit with closing experience, customer service and consistently meets or exceeds goals.
- Experience in public-facing, relationship-building, and relationship-maintaining skills.
- Ability to develop productive relationships with members/donors/clients and internal staff.
- Ability to represent the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts effectively through public speaking engagements and other community events.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, expert level written and verbal communication skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Experience preferred with Altru or other comparable nonprofit database.
- Willingness to wear many hats and support the overall department goals.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Physical Job Requirements:
While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 30 lbs occasionally, do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee required to be able to have written and verbal conversations. The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.